Monetary Statistics for May 2020

Press Releases

30 Jun 2020

Monetary Statistics for May 2020

According to statistics published today (Tuesday) by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, total deposits with authorized institutions decreased by 0.3% in May 2020. Among the total, Hong Kong dollar deposits edged up by 0.1% while overall foreign currency deposits declined by 0.6%. Renminbi deposits in Hong Kong increased by 6.2% to RMB694.9 billion at the end of May. The total remittance of renminbi for cross-border trade settlement amounted to RMB521.5 billion in May, compared with RMB540.2 billion in April.

It should be noted that changes in deposits are affected by a wide range of factors, such as interest rate movements, fund-raising activities and investors’ allocation of funds. Fluctuations in monthly deposit changes are therefore normal. There was a rebound in total deposits according to the latest data up to the first three weeks of June.

Total loans and advances decreased by 0.3% in May. Among the total, loans for use in Hong Kong (including trade finance) and loans for use outside Hong Kong dropped by 0.2% and 0.5% respectively from a month ago. The Hong Kong dollar loan-to-deposit ratio decreased to 88.4% at the end of May from 88.7% at the end of April, as Hong Kong dollar deposits increased while Hong Kong dollar loans decreased.

Hong Kong dollar M2 and M3 both edged up by 0.1% in May, and increased by 0.2% and 0.1% respectively compared to a year ago. The seasonally-adjusted Hong Kong dollar M1 rose by 3.0% in May, and grew by 3.5% compared to a year ago, reflecting in part investment-related activities. Total M2 and M3 both declined by 0.4% in May, but picked up by 2.4% and 2.3% respectively from a year earlier.

As monthly monetary statistics are subject to volatilities due to a wide range of transient factors, such as seasonal and IPO-related funding demand as well as business and investment-related activities, caution is required when interpreting the statistics.




Hong Kong Monetary Authority
30 June 2020

Latest Press Releases
Last revision date : 30 June 2020