Monetary Statistics for January 2015

Press Releases

27 Feb 2015

Monetary Statistics for January 2015

According to statistics published today (Friday) by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, total deposits with authorized institutions went up by 1.1% in January 2015. As the increase in demand and time deposits exceeded the decrease in savings deposits, Hong Kong-dollar deposits increased by 1.6% during the month. Overall foreign-currency deposits grew by 0.6% in January. Renminbi deposits in Hong Kong decreased by 2.2% to RMB981.4 billion at the end of January. The total remittance of renminbi for cross-border trade settlement amounted to RMB548.0 billion in January 2015, compared with RMB657.8 billion in December 2014.

Total loans and advances grew by 1.2% in January, within which loans for use in Hong Kong (including trade finance) rose by 1.6% and loans for use outside Hong Kong edged up by 0.3%. As Hong Kong-dollar loans increased at a slower pace than deposits, the Hong Kong-dollar loan-to-deposit ratio declined to 82.5% at the end of January from 83.3% at the end of December 2014.

Seasonally adjusted Hong Kong-dollar M1 rose by 2.9% in January and expanded by 18.5% year on year. Seasonally unadjusted Hong Kong-dollar M3 increased by 1.6% in January and rose by 10.3% from a year earlier. 




Hong Kong Monetary Authority
27 February 2015

Latest Press Releases
Last revision date : 27 February 2015