Complaints about Stored Value Facility Licensees

Lodging complaint with Stored Value Facility (SVF) licensees

The HKMA requires all SVF licensees to put in place an effective complaint handling mechanism to ensure that all complaints received are duly handled. Each SVF licensee has a dedicated contact point for receiving complaints. Contact details are set out in the List of SVF licensees’ contact details for handling customer complaints, or call the HKMA at 2878 1188 to find out.

Lodging complaint with the HKMA

The HKMA does not normally interfere with an SVF licensee’s commercial decisions and adjudicate or intervene in a commercial dispute between an SVF licensee and its customers; rather, the HKMA seeks to ensure that (i) licensees take reasonable steps to handle the complaints received; (ii) a licensee has well-established complaint-handling procedures; (iii) SVF users are fairly protected; and (iv) issues of regulatory concern, if any, will be followed up appropriately. Thus, it will usually be more effective to lodge a complaint directly with the SVF licensee first in order to have the issues addressed or resolved at an early stage.

Should one decide to lodge a complaint about an SVF licensee with the HKMA, please complete this complaint form and submit it to the HKMA by post, email, fax, or in person. Upon receipt of the form, the HKMA will send an acknowledgement to the complainant, conduct an assessment on the complaint and refer the case to SVF licensee as appropriate. We will inform the complainant about the outcome upon completion of our investigation and assessment. While the HKMA endeavours to complete investigation and inform the complainant of the outcome in good time, the time needed to process a complaint depends on various relevant factors, e.g. nature and complexity of complaint. If the complainant is dissatisfied with the outcome, the complainant may request a review of the case.

When submitting a completed complaint form to us, you may either send a scanned copy of the form with your signature, or a completed form in the editable PDF file format directly without signature. In the latter case, you are required to give your consent by ticking the box in section 5 of the complaint form to the HKMA to disclose the complaint’s information and the complainant’s personal data to the licensee and other parties concerned in a prudent manner.

It is voluntary for complainants to provide their personal data except the name and contact details. This is primarily to facilitate the HKMA to conduct appropriate follow-up actions. Complainants have the right to request access to and correction of their personal data held by the HKMA.

Contact Details

Enquiry Line:

(852) 2878 1188*


(852) 2887 2234



Retail Payment Oversight Division
Hong Kong Monetary Authority
55th Floor
Two International Finance Centre
8 Finance Street
Hong Kong

* Telephone conversations may be recorded and the information is subject to the disclosure of personal information and data set out in section 5 of the complaint form.

Last revision date : 14 May 2021