The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) published today (18 March) statistics on SVF schemes issued by SVF licensees for the fourth quarter of 2021.
The SVF scheme statistics (see Annex) include quarterly data on SVF schemes issued by the SVF licensees of the relevant periods.
According to the quarterly statistics, the total number of SVF accounts in use (Note 1) was 66.42 million by the end of Q4/2021, representing a 1.3% increase from the previous quarter. The total number of SVF transactions (Note 2) was around 1.7 billion for Q4/2021, or 4.6% higher than the previous quarter. The total value of SVF transactions was HK$80.5 billion for Q4/2021, representing a 10.0% increase from the previous quarter. Of the total transaction value, HK$42.4 billion was related to point-of-sale spending payment, HK$25.4 billion in online spending payment and HK$12.7 billion in P2P funds transfer. The total float and SVF deposit (Note 3) was HK$15.5 billion for the end of Q4/2021, 5.9% higher than the previous quarter.
As compared with the end of Q4/2020, the total number of SVF accounts in use at the end of Q4/2021 was up by 3.9%, and the total float and SVF deposit was up by 14.0%. The total number and value of SVF transactions during Q4/2021 were up by 17.9% and 32.6% respectively year-on-year.
Hong Kong Monetary Authority
18 March 2022