Monetary Statistics for May 2021

Press Releases

30 Jun 2021

Monetary Statistics for May 2021

According to statistics published today (Wednesday) by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, total deposits with authorized institutions increased by 1.2% in May 2021, and monetary statistics for the month were not affected by IPO activity. Among the total, Hong Kong dollar deposits and overall foreign currency deposits increased by 0.8% and 1.6% respectively. In the year to end-May, total deposits and Hong Kong dollar deposits grew by 2.4% and 3.0% respectively. Renminbi deposits in Hong Kong increased by 5.0% to RMB821.1 billion at the end of May. The total remittance of renminbi for cross-border trade settlement amounted to RMB482.3 billion in May, compared with RMB561.8 billion in April.

Total loans and advances increased by 0.4% in May, and grew by 3.0% in the year to end-May. Among the total, loans for use in Hong Kong (including trade finance) and loans for use outside Hong Kong increased by 0.2% and 0.9% respectively. The Hong Kong dollar loan-to-deposit ratio decreased to 82.6% at the end of May from 83.2% at the end of April, as Hong Kong dollar deposits increased at a faster pace than Hong Kong dollar loans.

Hong Kong dollar M2 and M3 both went up by 0.6% in May, and grew by 8.5% compared to a year ago. The seasonally-adjusted Hong Kong dollar M1 increased by 3.3% in May, and rose by 27.8% compared to a year ago, reflecting in part investment-related activities. Total M2 and M3 both increased by 1.0% in May, and rose by 7.1% from a year earlier.

As monthly monetary statistics are subject to volatilities due to a wide range of transient factors, such as seasonal and IPO-related funding demand as well as business and investment-related activities, caution is required when interpreting the statistics.




Hong Kong Monetary Authority
30 June 2021


Latest Press Releases
Last revision date : 30 June 2021