Residential Mortgage Survey Results for June 2007

Press Releases

23 Jul 2007

Residential Mortgage Survey Results for June 2007

According to the 23 authorized institutions (AIs) which participate in the HKMA's monthly survey of residential mortgage lending, new mortgage loans drawn down during June increased by 17.4% to HK$16.4 billion.

New loans approved fell by 2.4% to HK$17.3 billion.  The decline was mainly due to decreases of HK$0.1 billion (-1.2%) in approvals for secondary market transactions and of HK$0.3 billion (-9.2%) in approvals for refinancing loans.  The number of new applications also decreased by 16.7%.

The proportion of new loans approved at more than 2.5% below the best lending rate increased to 90.3% from 85.2% in May, while the proportion of new approvals priced with reference to rates other than the best lending rate or fixed rates decreased to 6.2% from 11.3% over the same period.

The outstanding value of mortgage loans increased by 0.7% to HK$536.0 billion.

The mortgage delinquency ratio was stable at 0.16%. With the rescheduled loan ratio falling to 0.24% in June, the combined ratio improved to a record low of 0.39%1.


For further enquiries, please contact:
Thomas Chan, Senior Manager (Press), at 2878 1480 or
Hing-fung Wong, Officer (Press), at 2878 1802

Hong Kong Monetary Authority
23 July 2007

1 Not the sum of the two ratios, due to rounding.

Latest Press Releases
Last revision date : 23 July 2007