Mr. Tong served as the Chairman of the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission (“SFC”) from 20 October 2012 to 19 October 2018. Since his retirement from the SFC, he has been appointed as an Independent Non-Executive Director of Standard Chartered PLC. He was also the Chairman of KPMG in China and Hong Kong from 2007 to 2011 and the Chairman of the Asia Pacific region and a member of the global board from 2009 to 2011.
Mr Tong has been active in public and community services and is the current chairman of the University Grants Committee. He is also a member of the Exchange Fund Advisory Committee in Hong Kong and a board member of the Hong Kong Airport Authority.
Other current appointments:
- Chairman, Independent Commission on Remuneration for Members of the Executive Council and the Legislature, and Officials under the Political Appointment System of the HKSAR
- Member, Human Resources Planning Commission
- Member, Council of the Hong Kong Laureate Forum
- Director, Aviation Security Company Limited
- Chairman, English Schools Foundation (2011-2015)
- Chairman, Hong Kong Sports Institute (2012-2017)
- Chairman, Employees’ Compensation Insurance Levies Management Board (2007-2013)
- Chairman of the Main Board and GEM Listing Committee of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Ltd (2006-2008) and member of the Listing Committee (2002-2006)
- Vice President (2006) and Council Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (2001-2008)
- Hon Treasurer (2001-2003) and Vice Chairman (2003-2007), Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra Limited